Thursday, December 9, 2010

Levi

"As he lets the sand filter through his hand it clumps in the puddle of tears he's sitting in and we whisper in unison 'God, I must have bummed you out again.' And I love this rainy weather, it reminds me of so many beautiful memories. And just like you said to me, the times that I cry are the times that I feel the most so if I find another secret to hide, you will never know. I want to feel like I can maintain control and if I let it all out then I'm gounna have to bare my soul. All I want is a hand to hold onto. No, no, no, no. All I want is for you to heal my dad's back- why is that so hard for you to do? I HATE this rainy weather, it reminds me of being a kid, when I would trust without question, and aren't there so many questions? Why are there so many questions? GET OUT OF MY HEAD."

So there's this poet who calls himself Levi the Poet, and this kid, this man, this soul is something unique. He's a force to be reckoned with. This kid, this man, this soul writes poems that mean so much and so little at the same time. His poems, you fall into them. You start with one listen, and maybe it's a little weird that he screams, and then you listen to another, and then another, and then you buy his CD. He incorporates his message in his intonation, his volume, his breathing. His words are scary, if only because they are terrifyingly true. And his words are holy as well. You hear God moving through him, and it isn't the God that we find in a magazine, a God who wears rosaries as jewelry, it isn't a God who reads his vocation off a piece of paper, but the God that truly shines through him is a God who is so true and passionate and lovely that you can't help but want to pray for yourself so that maybe your sufferings will pay off one day like his did. His poems are not happy, easy, or fun. They are true. And full of God.
And I don't know how he does it, but I have such respect for him. And the respect I have found for Levi through his poetry is something I've only found in one other person in my life.
And that's why I am going through a Levi obsession. Please understand.

1 comment:

Sara Dada said...

I read your post, JUST as I was listening to Rainy Weather. Talk about serendipity.
And I completely agree with/understand you.